Thu, Apr 25|
Philly Cheese School
A History of the World in 5 Cheeses w/ Alexandra Jones
History class just got delicious! PCS welcomes Alexandra Jones to take us on a journey into cheese's role in world history.
Time & Location
Apr 25, 2024, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM EDT
Philly Cheese School, 701 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147, USA
About the event
We all love cheese, but where did it come from, and how did it evolve into the ubiquitous food it is today? This class will take us on a whirlwind tour of global cheese history through 9000-plus years and four continents in five iconic cheeses, from the civilization-saving Neolithic adaptation that allowed humans to consume dairy products to the birth of beloved European wheels to cheese’s role in colonization to the current-day American artisan cheese movement. Through it all, you’ll learn the basics of tasting, storing, and selecting cheese and leave with a better understanding of how cheese reflects human history and continues to shape our world.
Philly cheese author and expert, Alexandra Jones will be in the house to guide us through this deep dive into the history of the world through a cheesy lense. She will also guide us through tasting a plate of 5 cheeses, specially selected to enhance our understanding of the story.
After class, participants will have access to the PCS Classroom Gift Shop, stocked with PCS merchandise and a rotating selection of cheese-themed gift items.
More About Alexandra Jones:
Alexandra Jones is a writer, educator, and recovering cheesemonger based in Philadelphia. Her work on food, agriculture, social justice, and sustainability has appeared in outlets like USA Today, Food & Wine, Culture: The word on cheese, Atlas Obscura, Civil Eats, Modern Farmer, and the Philadelphia Inquirer. In addition to teaching virtual and in-person cheese tastings and cheesemaking classes, Alexandra worked as a writer and editor on Cheese State University, a training platform for early and mid-career cheese professionals. She's also the author of Stuff Every Cheese Lover Should Know, a pocket guide to cheese from Quirk Books.
- All public classes are BYOB and open only to adults 21+. This class will take place at the brand new PCS Classroom, click here for more info about the space.
- In order to receive a full refund or reschedule, cancellations must be made 24 hours prior to the scheduled event time.
- This page will only show the amount of tickets which are still available for purchase. For example, if you are only able to buy 1 ticket then that means only one seat remains in class.
- If you are purchasing tickets for a group of 6 or more, please consider booking a private event with us instead.
- If you wish to purchase a ticket using a gift card please email email@example.com with the class you want to attend, the number of tickets needed and your gift card code number.
- Ticket type
General AdmissionSale ends: Apr 24, 5:00 PM EDT
Apr 24, 5:00 PM EDT
This class is for adults 21+.Price$60.00