Thu, Jun 29|
Philly Cheese School
The History of Cheese in North America w/ Alexandra Jones
PCS welcomes Alexandra Jones to take us on a journey into cheese's history here in North America!
Time & Location
Jun 29, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM EDT
Philly Cheese School, 701 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147, USA
About the event
The United States produces more cheese than any other country in the world. But cheese has only been made here for about 400 years. How did cheese come to what would become North America, and how did it spread across the continent and shape American history?
As we taste through 5 luscious cheeses, we'll learn:
- About the earliest cheeses made in what would become the US, Mexico, and Canada
- The ways cheese shaped the landscapes and identities of dairy powerhouses like Vermont, Wisconsin, and California
- How technological advances in the 20th century changed how Americans make, sell, buy, and eat cheese
- How the back-to-the-land movement in the 1970s spurred the rise of American artisan cheese that's still going strong today
Philly cheese author and expert, Alexandra Jones will be in the house to guide us through this deep dive into the history of North America through a cheesy lense.
After class, participants will have access to the PCS Classroom Gift Shop, stocked with PCS merchandise and a rotating selection of cheese-themed gift items.
More About Alexandra Jones:
Alexandra Jones is a writer, educator, and recovering cheesemonger based in Philadelphia. Her work on food, agriculture, social justice, and sustainability has appeared in outlets like USA Today, Food & Wine, Culture: The word on cheese, Atlas Obscura, Civil Eats, Modern Farmer, and the Philadelphia Inquirer. In addition to teaching virtual and in-person cheese tastings and cheesemaking classes, Alexandra worked as a writer and editor on Cheese State University, a training platform for early and mid-career cheese professionals. She's also the author of Stuff Every Cheese Lover Should Know, a pocket guide to cheese from Quirk Books.
- All public classes are BYOB and open only to adults 21+. This class will take place at the PCS Classroom, click here for more info about the space.
- In order to receive a full refund, cancellations must be made 24 hours prior to the scheduled event time.
- This page will only show the amount of tickets which are still available for purchase. For example, if you are only able to buy 1 ticket then that means only one seat remains in class.
- If you are purchasing tickets for a group of 6 or more, please consider booking a private event with us instead.
- If you wish to purchase a ticket using a gift card please email email@example.com with the class you want to attend, the number of tickets needed and your gift card code number.
Jun 28, 5:00 PM EDT
This class is for adults 21+. Everyone attending an in-person class should be prepared to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination before entering the space.