Fri, Sep 08|
Philly Cheese School
Advanced Cheese Class w/ Olivia Haver
Take a deeper dive into cheese science, aging, sensory evaluation and more with an award winning cheese pro!
Time & Location
Sep 08, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM EDT
Philly Cheese School, 701 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147, USA
About the event
Our Cheese Basics classes are a great way to get an intro to the wonderful world of cheese, but we know some are looking for a deeper dive. That's why we've partnered with an award-winning affineur (cheese ageing pro) and sensory evaluator to give us all an opportunity to get even more nerdy about cheese!
In this tasting class, affineur Olivia Haver will introduce us to the science-y side of cheese. We will get even more in-depth than usual on topics like the cheesemaking process, microbes, aging cheese and so much more. In additon to being a talented cheese expert, Olivia is also a trained sensory evaluator, which is the scientific discipline of assessing flavors and sensory charactaristics. She is going to give us the 411 on how to taste and assess flavors like a real pro.
Earlier this Summer, Olivia brought cheesy glory to Pennsylvania when St. Malachi, a firm cow's milk cheese that her team makes, won Best in Show at the American Cheese Society Awards! This is one of the greatest honors that an American cheese can earn, and if we're lucky Olivia will bring some of this delicious champion for us to taste.
During class we will also taste through a plate of unique cheeses, some made by Olivia herself! Curd nerds, you do NOT want to miss this one.
More About Olivia Haver, ACS CCSE:
Olivia fell in love with cheese 10 years ago as a cheese monger at small shop sharing bites with the local community. Her passion for working with the most delicious cheeses in the world brought her to Vermont where she worked at Jasper Hill Farm for 6.5 years specializing in affinage quality, compositional data analysis, and sensory evaluation. She currently resides in Pennsylvania as Head Affineur and Quality Directory at The Farm at Doe Run maturing nationally and internationally award winning cheese.
After class, participants will have access to the PCS Classroom Gift Shop, stocked with PCS merchandise and a rotating selection of cheese-themed gift items.
- All public classes are BYOB and open only to adults 21+. This class will take place at the brand new PCS Classroom, click here for more info about the space.
- In order to receive a full refund, cancellations must be made 24 hours prior to the scheduled event time.
- This page will only show the amount of tickets which are still available for purchase. For example, if you are only able to buy 1 ticket then that means only one seat remains in class.
- If you are purchasing tickets for a group of 6 or more, please consider booking a private event with us instead.
- If you wish to purchase a ticket using a gift card please email email@example.com with the class you want to attend, the number of tickets needed and your gift card code number.